Australia Day is here and with it, inevitably, comes lamingtons! We love how soft they are made with chocolate and coconut goodness! However, human lamingtons are made from sponge using white flour and sugar as well as cocoa which are all very unsafe for dogs! So we’ve recreated a version of healthy and easy to make dog lamingtons that your pup can enjoy! Remember that these are a treat so only give one per day! Don’t overfead these to your pup!
- 1/4 cup of raw carob powder
- 1/4 cup of flax seeds, ground
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 pitted medjool dates
- 4 tablespoons of water
- If you have whole flax seeds, you will need to ground them. To ground them you can either use a coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle. The coffee grinder should only take 10-15 seconds to get the seeds refined to a small, evenly ground meal. Although the mortar and pestle isn’t the easiest option, it will give you the best results. Pour your flaxseeds into the mortar, and use a combination of bashing and muddling to grind them finely.
- Throw all the ingredients into a hand processor or food processor and pulse until just combined.
- Remove the blade safely and scoop out a tablespoon of mixture at a time into your hand and roll them into balls.
- Roll the balls into the shredded coconut.
- Serve and enjoy!